Basic salary: R481 452.00 – R593 310.00
Package: R674 990.00 – R815 841.74
Basic salary: R616 065.00 – R733 611.00
Package: R844 494.87 – R992 508.95
Basic salary: R786 147.00 – R889 383.00
Package: R1 058 662.35 – R1 188 657.26
Director’s allowance: R125 479.85 per annum
Faculty of Law
School of Financial Planning Law
Senior Lecturer/ Associate Professor/ Professor and Director of the School
*NB! Applications may only be submitted online. Please ensure that all relevant documentation is attached to your application. INCOMPLETE OR APPLICATIONS SENT VIA EMAIL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Please note: Combine all the below documents as one document (PDF or Word), when uploading it on the online applications system.
• A detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter (please note that the first three (3) referees on your CV will be contacted with regard to reference checking);
• Certified copies (not older than 3 months) of all academic records;
• Certified copies (not older than 3 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
• A certified copy (not older than 3 months) of your identity document (ID);
• Proof of registration with a Professional Body (if applicable);
• A copy of your driver’s license (if applicable).
Duties and responsibilities applicable to the role of Academic (permanent position):
• Coordinate and administer research, publications and postgraduate teaching.
• Devise and implement strategies to grow the School’s research and postgraduate teaching.
• Recruit and supervise research Masters and Doctoral students.
• Generate funding for research projects.
• Devise and implement research projects.
• Participate in community engagement initiatives where possible.
• Attract external funding where possible.
• Perform general administration duties as applicable at university level.
Additional duties applicable to the role of Director (term appointment for 5 years):
• Provide academic leadership by creating and executing strategies to establish the department as a leader in the discipline vis-à-vis competing international entities.
• The Director is responsible for:
o Directing the academic debate in the department;
o Influencing the department’s overall climate and culture;
o Energising everybody in the department and beyond; and
o Shaping the future of the department.
• Contribute to the overall leadership in the faculty.
• Responsible for frequent and continuous planning and execution of plans, general organising and coordinating of staff, students and activities, mentoring and motivating staff, structuring, and exercising overall control.
• Create an atmosphere of consensus among staff.
• Responsible for effective internal and external communication.
• The Director is pivotal in linking the department’s staff and students with the University’s management and administration through communication, negotiation and consultation.
• Active participation and involvement in faculty management structures, attending meetings, leading project teams, representing the department and faculty, and fulfilling the roles of liaison officer and marketer, when necessary.
• Active participation and involvement in applicable UFS management structures.
• Initiate, formulate and implement a visionary academic strategy for the department that is aligned with and supportive to the guiding strategic documents of the UFS and faculty.
• Ensure –
o The provision of top-quality, research-informed facilitation of learning at all levels of teaching in the department;
o Relevance of content, material and presentation in all modules;
o The enhancement of student experiences and their continuous engagement in academic debates;
o Adequate rules and regulations are in place to optimally deliver high-quality teaching and learning programmes on both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
o Adherence to all the rules and regulations of the UFS, faculty and department.
o Quality and timely feedback on student work;
o Proper and quality-driven academic advice and support to all under-and-postgraduate students in the department; and
o The revisiting and development of fresh learning programmes that will help to position the department as a leader in the fraternity.
• Create and maintain a –
o Visionary research strategy for the department; and
o Environment that encourages research, leading to strong and active research habits and a culture of inquiry.
• Ensure that –
o Every academic staff member is engaged in quality driven and discipline specific research;
o Postgraduate students are recruited to broaden the research base of the department; and
o Ethical requirements are met.
• Guide and support Senior Academics towards acquiring NRF ratings.
• Engage actively with the faculty research committee and the UFS Directorate of Research Development in order to ensure sustainable financial support for departmental research initiatives.
• Build and effective team of scholars through:
o Planning and implementing a fair and reasonable dispensation regarding the workload of staff members in the department;
o Planning and implementing a clear and reasonable career path for every staff member in the department, taking account of the strategic plans of the University, faculty and department;
o Appropriate mentoring interventions where and whenever it is needed;
o Managing staff performance in accordance with existing university policies and procedures;
o Recruitment and selection of scholars in the case of vacancies and/or specific strategic needs, whenever strategic repositioning requires expansion of academic endeavours;
o Creating and maintaining a scholarship-friendly environment in the department; and
o Planning an overseeing effective and relevant staff development.
• Ultimate responsibility in terms of financial management which culminates:
o Annual budgeting;
o Financial planning;
o Allocation of funds; and
o Financial control.
o Adherence to the UFS’s financial policies and procedures.
• Encourage and actively support academic staff members to apply for external research and other grants.
• Relevant Doctoral degree (NQF level 10).
• Experience in supervision of graduated masters’ students.
• Experience in the presentation of paper/poster at national scholarly conferences.
• National recognition for specialist expertise and research in a specific area of scholarship.
• An NRF rating or potential for obtaining an NRF rating.
• A record of relevant publications in national and international accredited journals.
• Experience of service as an active member of a national or international scholarly society or committee or agency concerned with research at higher education levels.
• Relevant Doctoral degree (NQF level 10).
• Experience as external examiner for postgraduate students.
• Experience in the presentation of research papers at national conferences.
• Act as an editorial board member of high-quality national scholarly journals.
• Proven national recognition for specialist expertise and research leadership in a specific scientific area of scholarship.
• An NRF rating of C3 or equivalent status.
• Experience in the supervision of graduated masters’ students.
• A record of relevant publications in national and international accredited journals with specific emphasis on ISI-listed publications.
• Serve as a member of a national scholarly society OR a national committee or agency concerned with research at higher education levels, OR show evidence of service as an active member of an international equivalent.
• Relevant Doctoral degree (NQF level 10).
• An NRF rating.
• Successful supervision of graduated Masters and PhD students.
• International recognition for specialist expertise and research leadership in a human rights-related field.
• Editorial board member or guest editor of high-quality national or international scholarly journals.
• Experience in delivering keynote addresses at national scholarly conferences.
• Experience as external examiner for masters’ and doctoral students.
• Serve as a member of an international scholarly society OR an international committee or agency.
• Ability to supervise postgraduate students towards successful graduation.
• Ability to manage research and do research fundraising.
• Ability to arrange research-related events such as conferences, workshops and public lectures.
• Ability to conduct/manage/publish interdisciplinary research.
• Ability to maintain a high personal level of research output.
• Ability to teach in an interdisciplinary context.
• Ability to function in and sensitivity to a multicultural, multilingual and multi-identity working context.
• Ability to conceive and implement research projects.
• Ability to motivate researchers and establish a research culture.
• Experience in organising and presenting academic conferences, workshops and other academic events.
• Access to established national and international research networks.
Assumption of duties:
01 March 2020.
Term of office:
• The appointment as Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor / Professor is a permanent position.
• Five (5) years with regard to Directorship, with the possibility of reappointment for a further term.
31 January 2020.
The salary scale is available on request.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 7705/7267 or email ‐ Recruit@ufs.ac.za
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
Applications that are incomplete will not be considered. The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.
can click HERE
to apply online.
UFS staff members
can log onto PeopleSoft, click Self Service, Recruiting, and Careers to apply online.